What does the perfect smile mean to you? Any cosmetic dentist worth their salt will tell you that the ideal smile means different things to different people. Ask your friends or colleagues what their dream smile looks like and the chances are you’ll get a wide range of responses.
To an extent, your route to a perfect smile will depend on what your current one looks like. For example, if misaligned teeth have bothered you throughout your life, cosmetic adult orthodontics could be the first step to the smile of your dreams.
If your teeth are uneven, permanently discoloured or have minor issues with spacing, porcelain veneers are often an excellent solution, which a cosmetic dentist will use to create a smile makeover. Here are five top tips for creating the smile of your dreams – whatever that means to you:
1) Visit a cosmetic dentist. A well-established cosmetic dental practice, such as Garden View Dental Care in Buckinghamshire, will offer a wide range of treatments. Your dentist will work with you to create an individually-designed, beautiful smile.
2) Look after your oral health. Proper dental hygiene is a good starting point, as healthy teeth will look better than those covered in plaque or full of fillings. Visit your dentist and hygienist as regularly as advised, and follow their advice carefully.
3) Consider replacing metal amalgam fillings. There are now a number of cosmetic dentistry options for people with visible metal fillings. Depending on the size and location of your filling(s), strong tooth-coloured alternatives made from composite material may be used, or your dentist might recommend porcelain inlays, onlays, or crowns, for extra strength.
4) Only have teeth whitening under a dentist’s supervision. Teeth whitening is the most popular procedure in cosmetic dentistry, and must only be carried out by a dental professional. There are many products that claim to whiten teeth, and some beauty salons still offer the treatment. Over-the-counter treatments won’t work, while unlicensed practitioners can seriously damage your teeth and gums.
5) Remember that, with cosmetic dentistry, dreams really do come true! If you think your smile is so bad that it is beyond help, why not visit a reputable cosmetic dentist? You are likely to be pleasantly surprised – and smiling in no time.